Saturday, July 4, 2009

Back Home

Yay! I finally made it back home to my beloved city of Abuja, the capital of Nigeria, the heart of Africa. Well so the sign said that welcomed me to the Nnamdi Azikiwe international airport Abuja. Dr Azikiwe is one of the most distinguished Nigerians to grace the earth, that's a story for another day. Now back on point i'm back home yay! oops said that already.





The day was long, it began at 4 AM and ended at 10 PM. I was worn out by the end of the day. The flight seemed interminable, flying over your destination to an island and then back is not the most pleasant of experiences. Lufthansa (the airline i took) now apparently fly to Abuja via Malabo. The word 'via' i feel gives a different impression to what actually took place. Flying over the destination of the majority of the passengers to a remote island 90 minutes away and staying there for an hour while same passengers remain on the plane surely cannot count as 'via'! If anything it is a capital offence punishable only by ...

Enough of giving out, i'm just glad to be home safe and sound. Other than the one turbulent episode that had quite a number of passengers screaming and made me spill a drink all over myself it was a rather uneventful flight.

Getting off the plane, the hot air slaps me across the face. I expect this so it doesn't quite feel as bad as I remember it 2 years ago. I Proceed to the Nigerian passport queue which moves pretty quickly. I pass without being asked to show a visa or state the purpose of my journey, a rare occurence that really only happens when i come home. It takes forever to get my bags, reason: Nigerians are renowned for two things, First their loud manner and second Their oversized luggage when the travel. Finally my bag comes around on the carousel after this one lady beside me had taken off 16 bags that weighed at least 30kg each. I kid you not they were massive, i lifted some of them with her and wondered what in the world has she got in all those bags. I make my way past customs and finally meet my Dad and two brothers in the arrival hall. I see Neto and Archibong who both look diferent compared to the images of them in my memory. We proceed to the car for a long drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment